In this episode we are discussing inborn errors of immunity, with a particular focus on chronic granulomatous disease (CGD). Joining us for this episode is rare disease advocate, Felicia Morton, and genetic counselor, Torry Howell.
Felicia Morton, is the Founder and Executive Director of the CGD Association of America. Felicia has been a well-known advocate for the CGD community for more than a decade armed with her family’s personal experience.
Torry Howell, is a clinical genomic liaison at Blueprint Genetics. She received her Master of Science in Genetic Counseling from the University of Texas and MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas.
On This Episode We Discuss:
- Inborn errors of immunity (IEIs) and types of conditions that fall under this umbrella term
- Genetic testing for IEIs and how earlier diagnosis can impact a patient’s treatment decisions
- Chronic granulomatous disease (CGD)
- Felicia’s personal experience as a carrier of CGD and parent of a son with CGD
- Stem cell treatment for CGD
- The importance of collaboration between patients, caregivers, advocacy groups, and medical experts in improving the lives of those affected by CGD and IEIs
Important links and resources mentioned during the episode:
Stay tuned for the next new episode of DNA Today on September 15th, 2023! New episodes are released every Friday. In the meantime, you can binge over 250 other episodes on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, streaming on the website, or any other podcast player by searching, “DNA Today”. Episodes since 2021 are also recorded with video which you can watch on our YouTube channel.
DNA Today is hosted and produced by Kira Dineen. Our social media lead is Corinne Merlino. Our video lead is Amanda Andreoli. Our Outreach Intern is Sanya Tinaikar. Our Social Media Intern is Kajal Patel. And our Graphic Designer Ashlyn Enokian.
See what else we are up to on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube and our website, DNAToday.com. Questions/inquiries can be sent to info@DNAtoday.com.